PUMPKIN CHILI RECIPE: Hear Me Out

Hi there!
Half of Gabby 
has moved to a new kickass website! 

Read this article, in it’s updated version, HERE. 

 The page that you are on right now (www.halfofgabby.blogspot.com) is no longer posting new articles and information. Half of Gabby has moved to www.halfofgabby.comand will continue to post new material regularly! In addition, all older articles have been updated on the new site!

~~~







Okay, just hear me out on this one. I know it sounds weird, but I'm telling you, this shit is delicious! You don't need to be a pumpkin-loving freak like me to think this is good. Honestly, you can barely taste the pumpkin. I swear to you, it does NOT taste like you just mashed up a pumpkin pie in with your chili. The taste is very subtle. I think more than anything, it makes the consistency of the chili different. The pumpkin gives the chili a more weighted feel, even more of a comfort food-y taste than chili already has. I know, I'm making up words and sounding crazy. But I'm serious, this is good shit.

I'm going to tell you two things that might convince you to try this.

1. Both of my daughters moan and complain every time I make chili. Neither one of them like chili. At all. But since the hubs and I do, I make it a couple times a month. On chili nights, the girls have two options for dinner: Either eat the chili or eat dinner leftovers from a previous night. It never fails, they always pick leftovers. Mama only makes one dinner. You either eat it or you don't. Ain't nobody got time for making two meals. 

On the night I first made this pumpkin chili, the moans were even more disgruntled. But the rule in our house is that you are not allowed to deem a meal yucky until you try it. And that means an honest try. So I sat a small bowl of my pumpkin chili in front of both girls to try. They both were rolling their eyes at one another and complaining up until the very point that the chili touched their tastebuds. Then... silence. I was prepared to hear a bunch of 'yucks' and 'ews', but they never came. They both just kept eating... and eating. Then they both asked for seconds. Seconds! I was shocked to say the least. And I'm not too proud to admit that I rubbed in the whole I Told You So bit. Hardcore.

My 8 year old after her second bowl of pumpkin chili!

2. The hubs was running very late at work, so he had told me to go ahead and feed the girls since he wasn't entirely sure what time he was getting home. When he got home, I had his supper waiting for him. He was excited to see that chili was for dinner... until I told him it was pumpkin chili. You see, my hubs doesn't like pumpkin. Ya, I know, I married him anyway. Every Fall, while I do back flips over all of the pumpkin spice flavors and foods, Jay scrunches up his face and shakes his head. He wants no part of the Pumpkin Spice Cult. 

When I told him we were having pumpkin chili, his reply was this (while rolling his eyes), "Gab, don't you think you're taking this pumpkin thing a little too far. Pumpkin chili? Are you serious?" 

I immediately went into mommy mode and reminded him of the rule in our house. You must give it a try before you refuse to eat it. Both of my girls started encouraging him to try it and proceeded to tell him how good it was and that they both had two helpings. That helped my case, especially since he is well aware of how they gripe every time we have chili for dinner.

So he sat down and tried the chili. He took a big bite, then another big bite, and then smiled a big smile and said, "So what if I like it. Lay off me, I'm starving." 

In our house, we all quote Chris Farley from his infamous SNL skit where he was a woman on a diet. So anytime any of us are really hungry and finally get to eat or we're eating something that's really yummy, we always say "Lay off me." It's our inside joke. 


Okay, so back to the pumpkin chili. Do you wanna know how to make it? You better say yes! Because you're missing out if you don't!



PUMPKIN CHILI



WHATCHU NEED:

  • 2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 - 28 oz can tomato puree or tomato sauce
  • 1 - 15 oz can dark kidney beans
  • 1 - 15 oz can black beans
  • 1 - 15 oz can of pure pumpkin
  • 1 TBS chili powder
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • S/P to desired taste

WHATCHU DO:

1. Cook ground meat in large skillet and then drain.

* We like a lot of meat in our chili. If you prefer less meat, you could use only one pound (or whatever is your desired amount).

2. Add onions and cook for approximately 5 minutes.

3. Tranfer meat and onions into a large chili pot.

4. Add remainder of ingredients.

This couldn't be easier. You're basically making chili as you always do, but you're adding in the pure pumpkin puree and the pumpkin pie spice. There are hundreds of ways you could make pumpkin chili.

But I can only vouch for mine :)


5. Cook on low-med for approx 1 hour. Stir occasionally throughout cooking.





*You could also cook this in a crockpot. Cook meat and then transfer to a crockpot, add the remaining ingredients, and cook for 6-8 hours on low OR 3-4 hours on high.


VOILA!


Here's some more recipes you might like:













FOLLOW HALF OF GABBY ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY MOTIVATION! 

You will receive daily goodies including: HEALTH & FITNESS TIPSWORKOUTSHEALTHY RECIPESMOTIVATING ENCOURAGEMENT, as well as FAMILY FITNESSMOMMY IDEASCRAFT IDEAS, and even FUNNY STORIES & ARTICLES for some comedic relief. You get a little bit of everything in just one click :)

To follow, simply 'Like' Half of Gabby's Facebook Page. 



*The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content in this article is for general information purposes only. I am not a doctor, nor am I a dietitian. Talk to your physician before making any changes in your diet or exercise regimen. The information found in this article is from various sources which include, but are not limited to, the sites listed above. I encourage you to do your own research and talk with your physician before making any changes in diet or exercise. What has worked for me may not work for you. This information in this article or on this website should never replace or serve as medical advice.

NEVER DISREGARD PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE OR DELAY SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE READ ON OR HAVE ACCESSED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.


Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

HOW TO NOT GET FAT FOR CHRISTMAS

PORTABELLA MUSHROOM CAP PIZZA RECIPE